“In my business, technology should be the least of my worries.”
Network security has been at the forefront of the news over the last 5-7 years. There are many companies that are getting a bad reputation because they have been hacked and customer information has been exposed. HIPAA recently released network requirements that are meant to tighten up security for medical practices.
Network security is a set of rules that have been created by the technology staff that helps prevent network access. Many times, companies set up monitoring to make sure that there is no unauthorized access or misuse of network resources. Network security is implemented to keep people out and data in the network.
Other than requirements by federal laws, customer information is the main reason to implement a secure network. Also, companies should be concerned with protecting their data, both with external threats and employees. Below is a list of advantages of having a secure network environment:
Less Risk – Having a firewall and anti-virus/anti-malware protection decreases the risk of your company becoming infected.
Lower Cost – While the hardware and software can be expensive, it takes 1.5-4 hours to remove a virus or reload a computer system that has been infected. This cost can quickly exceed the value of the equipment, not to mention having an employee sitting around while their system is being recovered.
Increased Performance – Viruses and malware can cripple a network if multiple computers are infected. This downtime and law impacts employee performance and can cost thousands of dollars. Protecting your systems with the right hardware and software can limit this downtime and keep employees on task.
To provide a secure environment, there are many different items that need to be taken in to consideration when building a secure network. Business grade equipment will provide a secure and stable environment. Security software is also a big concern when creating a network. Below is a list of our common suggestions when creating a secure and stable network for the typical small to medium business.
- Network Firewall
- Server with Secured Access
- Lockable Rack for Network Storage
- On-site and Off-site Backups
- Website Filtering
- Business Grade Wireless with Encryption
- Anti-virus and Anti-malware Software
- Strong Passwords, Changed Regularly
- VPN for Remote Network Access
- Individual Logon Accounts
- Shared Storage with Security
- Acceptable Use Policies to Educate Users
Does your network meet the suggestions above? Call Prophet Network Integration today to schedule a network security analysis
Network Security Technology Tips
- Use strong passwords, such as B!rth4@y, this is easy to remember and makes it harder for hackers to discover.
- Make sure that your computer locks after a reasonable amount of time. If out of eyesight, lock your computer.
- Have your IT staff regularly update the software on your computers to limit vulnerabilities.
Areas of Focus Software
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows 7
- AllScripts Electronic Medical Records
- Greenway Electronic Medical Records
- NextGen Electronic Medical Records
- Symantec Backup Exec
- Dentrix Dental Software
- Dolphin Dental Software